Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Musings on life that make sense to me.

"I sometimes wake in the early morning and listen to the soft breathing of my children and I think to myself, this is the one thing I'll never regret and I carry that quiet with me all day long." - Brian Andreas



I happened upon Brian Andreas' work at Fireworks in University Village last December after one of Owen's appointments at Children's. I immediately fell in love with his stuff and spent at least 30 minutes looking at his various collections - sculpture, storybooks, prints. I ended up buying an unframed print for Owen's room called "Deep Roots." His musings on life are so original yet so true. His sculptures, so absolutely beautiful and vivid in every sense, incorporate weathered wood, metal and brightly colored images.

I just recently discovered that Brian was born in Iowa City in 1956, lived the majority of his life as a young man in California and now lives in Decorah, Iowa with his family. Ahhh, it all makes sense...

"Make sure you got clean underwear, she always said, in case you get in an accident & I always figured that'd be the least of my worries, but now I'm older & I see there's a lot you can't control & some you can control & clean underwear is one of those you can. For the most part." - Brian Andreas.

No comments: